Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 15 and 16 year old daughters have been living with my…

Customer Question
My 15 and 16...

My 15 and 16 year old daughters have been living with my sister since february. What is the length of time before she would be granted custody?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

There is no specified length of time in TX that they must be living with her for her to seek custody. In order for her to seek custody, she has to prove to a court that you are not fit or able to have custody of the children and ask the court to award her custody. It is not a matter of how long they have been there, it is a matter of whether or not she can prove you are capable of caring for the children and having them in your custody and care.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.