Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Question about legal separation/ legal divorce in CA: CA. My…

Customer Question
Question about legal separation/...

Question about legal separation/ legal divorce in CA:

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My husband and I would like to keep the process outside of courts and lawyers as much as possible. If we have an agreement on all current joint belongings, do we still need to involve an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it sufficient to have our agreement notarized and filed with the court? and what specific financila (?
or else) documents do we need to file?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can do it without a lawyer. You can have it signed and notarized and then filed with the court. The court clerk may want you to submit financials to back up the decision making you made to ensure the terms are fair and reasonable which the clerk would provide you.

What about Child Custody... we have an agreement on this as well. Is anything else required from the court?

The court will review and may schedule a conference with the parties to confirm the terms before approving.

I hope my replies have been fast and acceptable. If so, please reply "yes" or "acceptable".

Also, how important (or not) is the date of our separation as we have discussed amongst ourselves? can we backdate our agreement to this date in the past??

The date of separation should be the actual date you effectively physically separated from each other. should not be backdated.

We are still not physically separated and may be in the future due to logistics and financial reasons. But, we've be detached morally separated in the past. Which date to reflect?

It would then reflect the date you file.

Good luck. Kindly rate my answers 5 stars on your screen.

Thank you. What's the deciding factor for the court clerk to ask for financials or not?

case by case, but if appears one sided more likely.

Is the answer acceptable?

Infolawyer, Lawyer