Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex husband and I were married for 44 years and divorced…

Customer Question
My ex husband and...

My ex husband and I were married for 44 years and divorced in 2006. I am now 74 years old and he is 75. He is still living and he remarried in 2007 and I have never remarried. Is there any way that I can draw any social security benefits from him ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We lived in Colorado all of our married life, however I now live in Texas and have been here since 2008. He now lives in Oklahoma.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you can do so.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

All you need to do here is make appointment with local social security office.Take your marriage license, divorce decree, your social security and birth certificate.You get half of his benefits here.They will calculate it.Doesn't matter if he remarries.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

How can i find out what his is?

They can look this up.You could also order an old tax return from when you were married.Either of these should work.

order old return here

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/request-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

I think if you take the rest of your stuff IRS can look him up.