Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm in a child custody and visitation situation with a

Customer Question
I'm in a child...

I'm in a child custody and visitation situation with a female. There was no relationship. The child is 1yrs old. I didn't know the child's name until the summons. I don't want any envolvement! I'm an convicted felon, out on the street since I was 15, now 40. and suffers with PTSD. She is 37yrs old and had no kids. She said she couldn't bear a children that's why she didn't have any. Now I find out all of it was a lie. She just wanted to get government assistance. I had expressed my pass and I didn't a child. I don't make but 8.50 an hour and I live in a men's boarding house. I feel like the victim. She has control of her body and she made that decision for herself. Not taking any consideration of my life situation in which she already knew.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but they keep telling me, the court don't care about that there only concern the best interest of the child. She was not thinking about the best interest of the child. If that was her motive to have a child, she should have chosen a man that she was in a committed relationship with and wanted a child with her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I make 8.50 an hour working construction. When weather conditions are bad I can't work and not pay. It's hard to find employment when you're a convicted felon. I know some support has to be made. But how can she expect me to establish a relationship with a child( who is innocent) when I didn't have a relationship with her and the frustration and anger I have for what she has done! I don't want no parts of anything with her!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

So what is your specific question about this for us?

What do I do? I have a court date on the 20th of Dec. for a paternity test. I went on the 5th to an mediation at the court and when I said the same statement to the mediator that I have stated to you, she said her only concern was the best interest of the child. When I told her to look at the incident and the behavior of this female, she told me to leave!
I'm at work on break. Can I call you later

Thank you for your reply. Save your money and do not pay for the call, we can do it here.

Unfortunately, she is not the only one responsible for having the baby, which I know you realize. The law makes it mandatory that you pay support for the child, you do not have to have any visitations with the child, but you would be legally liable for child support. If you are making pretty much nothing and in VA the minimum child support amount is what they would make you pay, which is less than $100 per month. But I am afraid you are legally liable to pay, even though she tricked you saying she could not get pregnant.

So unless you can prove you are not biologically the father, the court has to order you to pay something in support of the child because the state law says they must do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer