Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Guardianship for a parent. I am the only living adult child…

Guardianship for a parent. ...

Guardianship for a parent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am the only living adult child left of my mother who has Alzheimer. A granddaughter is trying to get guardianship over my mother. Is it possible, the granddaughter can get guardianship vs. the only biological living adult child?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

12/9/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Guardianship is usually denied unless there is real need. If person able to care for himself will be denied. It needs a little help also denied. And if person has bad motives also denied.It is extreme deprivation of liberties.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No. I don't understand. My mother has Alzheimer and in a nursing home. I am the responsible person for her right now but a granddaughter is trying to get guardianship of my mother. I am the only living biological living child of my mother. Can she be granted guardianship over me?
No. You are a closer relationship and no reason to change the arrangement.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Answer is not acceptable. I do not understand the answer.
I will try to ask the question again.
Guardianship will not be granted to another relative where there is no need for it and you are competently handling her affairs.
Is that clearer?
Thank you. It is clear as a bell now! It is acceptable. Thank you.
Very welcome. Glad to hear it.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Thank you again.
Infolawyer, Lawyer