Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have joint custody but full physical custody of my

Customer Question
I have joint custody...

I have joint custody but full physical custody of my daughter. she is 14 and decided to stay at her gradparents and wont come home now. and the cops are not helping what can i file to get her back and keep them from taking her when they want

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i need to find one that is affordable

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That the father called cps on me and now they are trying to say that i was drunk and beat her and that didn't happen

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/9/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

You shouldn't need to file anything. I'm surprised the police aren't helping you. I'd take your court order down to the police station and tell them that the grandparents are keeping your child in violation of the court order.

You may also wish to file a motion to enforce the custody/visitation order - against your spouse if you feel that he is essentially spearheading your daughter not coming home.

Also, you could have an attorney send a letter to the grandparents advising them of your rights - and if the above don't work you could sue the grandparents for interfering with your parental rights. None of this is particularly idea, as I'm sure you understand, particularly when dealing with a child who is already a teenager.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). Negative ratings are reserved rude behavior or wrong information. If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.