Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If I file for a legal separation before my spouse gets

If I file for...

If I file for a legal separation before my spouse gets admitted to a nursing home are my house & car safe from seizure?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin Milwaukee County

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My spouse was in hospice & in now told he may need to go into assisted living as we have a 2 story house & he’s 90 independence we are both on SSD plus I have pension income. With the house & a car he doesn’ Qualify for title 19

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Ok. I’ll wait

Yes you will need lawyer to file for legal separation and a separation agreement here.If it is awarded to you then it is exempt here from medicaid.But you need to file here and get this done prior to medicaid.

Wisconsin provides for a legal separation, which resolves all the issues related to a troubled marriage except its termination. A legal separation permits a couple to take advantage of the elements of a traditional divorce without violating religious beliefs against divorce. Moreover, health insurance that provides coverage to both spouses can be maintained in force because legally the marriage did not end.

Lawyer referral

If you need help with a legal issue, the State Bar of Wisconsin's Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is a good place to start. You can search for an attorney through our website, or you can speak to a legal assistant by calling(###) ###-####

Lawyer Referral & Information Service - State Bar of Wisconsin

https://www.wisbar.org/forpublic/ineedalawyer/pages/lris.aspx

I appreciate the chance to help today,thanks again and prayers to you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you. To clarify what you said, I must file for legal separation here were you saying through this site or through a family law attorney?
Local family attorney in WI where we live?

Through a family law attorney there in Wisconsin.Yes where you live the lawyer referral above covers whole state.I wish you the best here.Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer