Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Please help us with an ADULT ADOPTION IN TEXAS./We have been…

Customer Question
Hi! Please help us...

Hi! Please help us with an ADULT ADOPTION IN TEXAS./We have been raising and loving as our own our boy Scotty since he was 4 years old. He is now 19 and ready to join the Navy. We ALL desperately want to complete the adult adoption process before he leaves to bootcamp so there are no questions if (God forbid) an issue arises where next of kin need be notified/consulted etc. His birth mother is not interested in anything about Scott other than whatever income may be "due" to her as his mother. I take issue with this because he's been our baby for 15 years and all we want is to be his LEGAL MOM AND DAD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Carrollton TEXAS (Denton County)

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we would like to file paperwork ourselves because he is an adult

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he is our son, we love him and want to protect him and his interests in all things

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/8/2017
Family Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

I can provide you with the paperwork and answer any questions that you may have. One moment please.

"In an adult adoption, the law in Texas requires that the adoptive parent file a petition with the appropriate court in order to adopt the individual. These adoption petitions almost always must be filed in the county where the person adopting the other adult resides. If the adult filing the petition to adopt is married, their spouse must join in the petition for adoption. The adult desiring adoption must also provide written proof that the adult to be adopted consents to the adoption. This consent to adoption must be made in writing. Notice of adoption need not be given to the parents or family of the adult who is to be adopted. After these requirements have been fulfilled, the adult requesting adoption and the adult to be adopted must attend a court hearing. In a few rare cases, if good cause can be demonstrated the court might waive the attendance requirement.

Situations Where Adult Adoption Will Not Be Permitted

Adoption will not be granted by the court for several reasons. If the adoption appears to be designed to defraud creditors or avoid other legal obligations, a court will likely not allow the adoption to be performed. A court will also likely not grant adoption if it appears that either party is under duress to agree to the adoption process. The state of Texas also prohibits cases of adult adoption where the adoption is performed so that individuals can receive benefits under immigration law." https://www.lawcl.com/adult-adoption-in-texas/

Once The Adoption Process Is Finalized

A court must permit adoption if all requirements have been fulfilled. The Texas Department of Health will then issue a new birth certificate for the adopted adult, changing the individual’s surname to reflect that of the adoptive parents. Once the adoption is granted, the adopted individual becomes the child of the adoptive parent or parents for all purposes. While the adopted adult is now permitted to inherit assets from the adoptive individual in the same way as a biological child would, the adopted adult loses all rights to inherit from the individual’s biological parents.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have any additional questions for me?

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney