Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is being deposed as a witness for a civil case.

Customer Question
Hi. My daughter...

Hi. My daughter is being deposed as a witness for a civil case. What kind of lawyer should we get? She's only 16 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Georgia, Cobb County

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, only a criminal defense lawyer because he's my neighbor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, a lawyer is needed to sit in on this deposition because there will be many lawyers. The case involves the accidental drowning of a classmate...so serious nature.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Anyone there?
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a moment to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

okay...i cancelling this payment because i believe this might be fraudulent
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Unless the criminal case has already been addressed or disposed of, or if the state concluded there were no grounds for a criminal case, you/your daughter should be aware that it's a potential possibility here as well.

That means having an attorney present with her is very important in that respect as well, so that she does not incriminate herself with regards ***** ***** criminal charges.

That being said, the type of attorney you want to be present with her in the deposition is a civil lawyer, preferably one who has experience with personal injury or wrongful death cases.

You can contact the Georgia State Bar to be referred to an attorney in your area, with that specialization.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

This is the number where you can contact the Georgia State Bar for a referral to a civil attorney in your area, with the areas of expertise I mentioned above.

(404)(###) ###-####/strong>

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Again sorry for the delay. I can only type so fast.

This is a legitimate site with genuine licensed attorneys.

I hope you'll find the legal information I've shared with you helpful, you will find it is 100% accurate. You now know the type of attorney your daughter needs beside her, as well as how to get connected with a reputable lawyer in that area of expertise.

Please do let me know if you still have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Please also kindly take a moment to leave a positive rating of 3 stars or more for me, thanks so much!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!