Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am currently involved in a child support case in the State…

Customer Question
I am currently involved in...
I am currently involved in a child support case in the State of VA. I issued a subpoena to the NCP in April of 2017 and they returned the requested documents to the courthouse in which my case is being heard. I have requested copies of these records that simply contain the dates in which he was employed and the number of hours in which he worked each week. The clerk's office is telling me that while I am allowed to view the files and make a hand written copy with pen and paper standing there I am not allowed to receive actual copies of the documents to prepare for my case. Can someone please explain why I am not able to obtain copies of documents that I subpoenaed and are in the case file at the court house?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley
Honestly, I cannot see why you would not be allowed to take copies of those records in order to prepare for your case. However, to make sure that you're ready for the hearing, I would go down take written notes as to what the records contain as you need them and I would advise the court that the actual records are in the file that the judge certainly has access to as well. The only thing I can think of is that they are concerned over privacy and that is why they will not let you take a copy but only look at them. I would go down and look at them and not concern yourself as to why you can't have physical copies but prepare for your hearing make those notes and then advised the court that the actual records are in the file