Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is going through a child support battle for over…

Customer Question
My husband is going...

My husband is going through a child support battle for over a year now. This past week the lawyer for his sons mother put in a "motion" for all of my financials and the financials for my businesses. Can they do that when this has nothing to do with me? What recourse do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My husband has a lawyer and I have not spoken to him about this. I am seeking answers outside of that relationship.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/6/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. It is possible that they want to make sure that he is not hiding and money and that the information he provided, is accurate, so a proper determination of support, can be made. If they want these and you are not a party to this, they would need to show the relevancy of it and you can object to it and allow the Judge to decide. You would need to object to it and oppose releasing them, making them show why these are needed

Is there a specific type of letter for the objection that I should send? I do not want any part of this so if they continue
what can I do?

Is it a motion or did the Judge grant it?

It is a motion currently

Thank you. If it is a motion, you will want to respond to it. You also need to speak with your husband and his attorney about this, as the attorney will likely handle it and object to it and respond to the motion and could go so far as argue on your behalf, as to why this should not be released. If he is represented by counsel, you need to rely on them or retain your own attorney, to handle this. Since it is just a motion, the Judge needs to decide if this should be granted but you would likely need to appear at the hearing and could respond to this and explain to the Judge, why it should not be provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!