Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Daughter was abducted by her Father and his Mother in…

My Daughter was abducted...

My Daughter was abducted by her Father and his Mother in 1982. They left the state with her and I was in the middle of filing for divorce. A private investigator tracked them and lost them in Florida. I had no money and my Lawyer informed me that if I were able to find them I would have to locate her and steal her. Needless to say I did not have a lot of options at that time and could not put a child through a kidnapping and then having to hide from them to keep it from happening again. My daughter has found me and we are in contact but we are both very upset about the fact that her father was killed and her grandmother adopted her in the state of Florida. I was never contacted after his death and was always visible where I live so I could be found. The birth certificate has apparently been changed to show her grandmother as her mother. What can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We lived in Oklahoma when this happened. I have divorce papers showing I have full custody of my daughter and he would have visitation rights. The adoption took place in Florida. Her birth was also in Oklahoma and that is where I still live.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. That is why I am here to see what I may need to do. The Grandmother is in a facility with severe Dementia and I have found she was mentally abusive to my daughter. There is nothing we can do to change the past but she wants her birth certificate to show what is is supposed to show. Me as her mother and her father also. The woman had her current husband at the time of the adoption noted as the father on the birth certificate also.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the woman has told everyone I abandoned my child and didn't want her and I was a drug addict. I am also wondering how an adoption could possibly occur with a living parent and no attempt to contact me in Oklahoma. I know the times were different at that time but I never abandoned her she was stolen from me and no one ever attempted to find out why I was not involved and took the word of a narcissist that I was unfit. How could the judicial system not check all the facts before allowing someone to adopt a child?

12/6/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I am waiting

I would try and take your custody orders here and original birth certificate to local sheriff and seek to claim the child.It is very possible here grandmother has legal guardianship and has not legally adopted her.Again why not try to retrieve your daughter here with what you have.

If grandma is in a facility nothing prevents you from legally claiming your child, I would go to sheriff and show them your documents.I would not mention the adoption but go and get the child, see if they will go with you.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

And here would be you going to Florida to claim her with your custody orders.

You did not pay attention to the year. This happened in 1982. My Daughter is 36 years old. She was raised by this woman and after years of looking for each other we are connected now. She will be here for the holiday and I will see her for the first time in 35 years. They stole her when she was a year old. There are adoption documents in the State of Florida and there is a copy of her birth certificate showing everything changed.

I mean obviously somebody lied here, they could have forged a relinquishment of parental rights and filed it with adoption petition.Hard to know who forged what but there had to be dishonesty .Its a shame glad you were able to find her.You file for adoption of an adult.Not too late to adopt her back.

What do I have to do in order to do this? Why doesn't the fact I was granted custody in the State of Oklahoma and found competent to have the custody of her mean anything? Why do I have to adopt my own child. This sounds so wrong to me.

Well an adult can be adopted by anyone they consent to let them do so.I am just not sure at this point you could go back and undo the rest of it.Adoptions of minors are sealed so hard to find it if you wanted to.

You can file where you are located since the child is an adult these days.

We have copies of the adoption papers and the lawyers name etc... We have all the documentation as far as I can tell.

I mean the question here would be did they claim you signed relinquishment or served you by publication claiming they couldn't find you, had to some lies here, if you look at entire file you could at least see how they claimed you either signed something or they tried to serve you.Help you sort it all out.

Can a lawyer request that file from another?

Yes they can do so.Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Good luck here and Happy Holidays.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer