Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter carries both her parents last name on her birth…

Customer Question
My daughter carries both...

My daughter carries both her parents last name on her birth certificate but ssn number has my last name. How can I change this to just my last name on her birth certificate in sc?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/6/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The answer depends...what does the other parent have to say about this??

Not sure. He and I don't communicate at all.

Thanks
If you want to change her name? You need to get him to agree. IF he agrees? Then it is easy...you can file the name change form with the court and they will make the change.

BUt if he does not agree? Frankly, it will be difficult...you would need to hire a lawyer....and file a request with the court. HE would be notified and can show up with his own lawyer and your lawyers can fight this out in front of the judge...if you can convince the judge the child is better served with only your last name, the court can grant the order.

Bot***** *****ne: get him to agree and this is easy...otherwise you have to hire a lawyer

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I don't think he will go to court because he owes 25,000 in back child support. What happens if wont reply to me?

You have to hire a lawyer to change this without his permission.

Period.

That said, if you hire a lawyer and he does not, and he does not show up to the hearing? You will likely win by default.