Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was awarded alimony in a California court. I have since…

Customer Question
I was awarded alimony...

I was awarded alimony in a California court. I have since moved to Nevada and my ex has stopped paying.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Nevada and he is in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I can not afford a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What you may need to do is file the judgment in Nevada and then file for a contempt of court action to get your ex to pay. The first step is to obtain an exemplified copy of the judgment from the original court. The exemplified judgment is then filed with the Nevada court, and the defendant/debtor is given notice of the filing. After that, you will then need to file a motion so a NV court has the jurisdiction to then go after your ex for the missing payments. You don't need a lawyer for any of this.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

just need to know how to fix this long distance, as I am unable to return to California

I understand. Did you happen to see my response? Did it make sense how you can do it from NV?

how do I get documents? Go to the Nevada court house?

Good question. Generally, yes, you should go to the courthouse because the court clerks (the people that manage the paper) are going to be the most helpful. They should have the documents to do this online as well, but not every court in every county does something like that. The court will definitely have them. If you go to the clerk's window (usually on the first floor) you'll be able to get the docs you need and file your judgment right away.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Will Nevada have access to those documents or do I need to have them when I go there

You should bring them when you go there. They won't be able to get access otherwise. You will likely have to go to the website of the court in the county where the judgment for alimony was made and pay a small fee to get a copy either mailed to you. Most of the time you can simply download it right then and there so you don't have to come back to Cali.

What other questions did you have?

can I talk to you if I have any more questions? If so, how?

For your benefit, you can click here in the future to request me individually. Any other questions?

I meant if I have any more questions after today?

You can always come back to this thread and post another question:-)