Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my daughters mother have joint custody i get her 1…

Customer Question
me and my daughters mother...
me and my daughters mother have joint custody i get her 1 week and she get her 1 week. daughter is 16 year old and she has been staying with me ever since oct 1st. she says that she cant live with her mom cause she was always yelling at her and she cant concentrate at school cause she always wondering what her mother was going to yell at her about. so since she has been staying with me her grades have improved alot and her self esteam is alot better. what do i need to make this leagel and to start getting child support from her mother cause she wont even help with anything even tho the court papers say she has to pay half of everything for our daughter.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

i am in illinois state.

Thank you. I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The process is called a Modification o Custody. This can be done by agreement with your ex. BUT if she does not agree then you must file a Motion to Modify Custody with the Court. In Illinois this document is called MOTION TO MODIFY ALLOCATION OF PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES

The Court is obligated to look at the best interests of the child. At the age of*****will also give some deference to the wishes of your daughter.

You can download a sample Motion here:

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/motion-modify-allocation-parental-responsibiliti

Another example is here:

https://illinois-petition-to-modify.pdffiller.com/

You complete the document serve your ex a copy and file it in the Court that issued the original divorce decree.

Here is a link to the law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/075000050K610.5.htm

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Also, while you are seeking to modify custody you will also seek to modify child support. This link provides detailed information on that process:

http://www.law.siu.edu/selfhelp/info/childsupport/modsup.pdf

Essentially, you will file an additional Motion with the Court seeking the modification of support along with the Custody Motion.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer