Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daugher in law locks her 4 year old daughter in her room…

Customer Question
My daugher in law...

My daugher in law locks her 4 year old daughter in her room every night for bed and lets her scream and throw her self against the walls until she passes out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No My son and her are going through a divorce. She lives in wisconsin, and my son lives in Illinois. He is against this practice. I am wondering about neglect or laws regarding locking small children in their room at night.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this neglect? she started wiping feces all over when this happens as well

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 9 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. How do you know this is happening?

I have seen it, and my son was just there for two nights visiting his daughter and he saw it. He attempted to go in and comfort her and his soon to be exwife said DON"T YOU DARE...but he did anyway. And she screamed at him that he was a bad father and should just let her cry it out.
She replaced the doorknobs with locking ones and turned them around so she can lock them from the outside and lock her in.

In the divorce proceeding, hasn't your son informed the Judge of the treatment and attempted to change custody?

He has not brought this up. He didn't know it was still going on... He was in the Marines, and just recently got out. They have a hearing on Dec. 13th for the divorce. He does not have money to fight for custody. The judge told him that the current plan, joint custody with her having physical custody stands.

The only other option is for you to report it to Child Protective Services in Wisconsin. It may or may not do an investigation because of the pending case. Is that something you want to do?

If you have further questions, just let me know.

She left him while he was still active duty, moved back to Wisconsin with children in Nov. 2016 (only one is his bio) and moved in with her ex boyfriend, who just kicked her out (again) and boyfriend was charged with domestic. This is a shit show. He just wants his daughter, but the expense is too much. I told my son that calling CPS would be an option. He does not want to create a crisis (she is mentally unstable and needy beyond belief). He finally just go to see his daughter again after nearly a year.
Do you know anyone who does work for disabled vets on custody? My son is a disabled vet also.

There are a lot of agencies regarding jobs and employment, and other agencies but I do not have the names of them or phone numbers. Your son should have a contact for Vet services he could call.

Do you have any further questions? Sorry, for this is happening.

Here is a website for veteran's legal services. There is a link to pro bono services.

https://www.va.gov/OGC/LegalServices.asp