Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We gave our son a car. Can his ex take the car away from him…

Customer Question
We gave our son...

We gave our son a car. Can his ex take the car away from him for back child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He lives in colorado and she lives in il.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The car was a gift to our son. he did not buy it we gave it to him

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. If the car is in your son's name, then the state of Colorado can get a lien on the vehicle. A child support lien is created by court order for failure to pay child support. Only state and county child support agencies can file child support liens. The liens are effective for 12 years if the amounts past due aren't paid and are continued for every 12 years thereafter. Your son could sell you back the vehicle to get it out of his name, lessening how much property he has; however, the state has the authority to take those actions.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?