Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can you answer a question that I have about child support?

Can you answer a...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, my husband & I just noticed some wording that is different than usual & I'm curious about it before we go to an attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, What does this service cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

When I get a reply, how much is it? I need to know what I'll be expected to pay before I pay a deposit

12/5/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning Customer service can answer any questions which you have about cost. Please contact them and let me know if you still want to proceed, as I would be happy to help.

I'm ready to ask my question. Do I just type it in now?

Yes, please do.

My step son just turned 18 & will be graduating this June from High School. We just noticed some wording that concerns us in the child support papers. The normal wording for when child support will end is "the child attains the age of eighteen unless the child is still in primary or secondary school...fails to make satisfactory academic progress toward graduation, or reaches the age of 20, whichever comes first" we just noticed in my husbands papers, that the last word is "last" -whichever comes last instead of first. Do you think this is a typo or could that mean that we will have to keep paying until he's 20? The mother isn't working with us on this & before I have to spend even more on an attorney, I was wondering what a professional thinks about this. He is joining to Coast Guard after graduation so he will be leaving home & not going to college.
Do you understand what I'm asking? I'm not sure if I described it well!

Thank you and please allow me a moment

OK, thank you

Yes, it may be an error. I say this because child support terminates at age 18 in North Carolina unless the child is still in high school. If the child is still in high school child support may extend until age 20 if the child is making satisfactory progress towards gradation. In no event should child support extend past age 20 under North Carolina law unless a parent has voluntarily agreed to continue support for an extended period pursuant to a contract or separation agreement. It is possible it is a typo and you could motion the court and ask the Judge to terminate support if the mother is unwilling to accept this and wants it to be paid. I know it is not ideal but if he graduates and is 18 and joins the Coast Guard, that should end the obligation.

OK, that's what I thought. I just wanted to see if that was actually the law, I can't imagine that we would still be required to pay child support after he has moved out. That was not in the agreement. Thank you for your help & we will see what we need to do to take care of this.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer