Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I left my phone with my daughter at my ex wifes house and my…

Customer Question
I left my phone with...
I left my phone with my daughter at my ex wifes house and my ex wife took it from her and is looking through it and texting me about it all and the conversations between my current wife and I about my ex wife. is this legal or should I call the police and go get my phone? or will the police just laugh?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
The reason I left my phone there was because she has been leaving my daughter at home alone with no phone or way of communication. I am in the process of getting her a new phone so I left mine with her until then.
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Law enforcement is not very likely NOT going to help you. They will tell you that this is a civil matter, and try to blame you for leaving the phone in the first place.

Your best bet is to contact your phone carrier and have the phone wiped and deactivated. Although not my area, I understand This can be done from a distance with most smart phones and carriers these days.

You could sue your wife for the value of the phone if she refuses to return it to you - but the time and expense of suing would likely not be worth the value of the phone.

I am sorry that this is not what you want to hear. I would not want to mislead you into pursuing an action that could cause you embarrassment and expense.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald