Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to know what kind of rights a father has that is

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know what kind of rights a father has that is incarcerated ? he is in a federal institution but will be moved to a reentry home in the next 6month to finish his time . he will be released in Texas and also be in a reentry home in Texas and living in Texas when released he has 2 sons that are in Iowa his home state. The mother has cut off communication with his sons and he has does not know where they are and has not had communication for 6months what are his rights and what will he have to do when he is release? he does have employment and school he will be attending when he gets out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He is currently in Wisconsin he is from Iowa however federal they do not keep them in their home state. He does believe the children are still in Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he is going to be release in and living in Texas

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

okay thank you

Hello:

Unless a Judge has revoked his rights OR issued an order outlining his rights OR he's not on the birth certificates, he has the same rights as other fathers. His incarceration doesn't necessarily change that, unless again, a Judge has issued an order before or while he was incarcerated that limits his parental rights or he's never had his fatherhood legally established.

He should definitely focus on following the terms of his reentry, including any residency restrictions he may face after release. If he is prohibited from leaving Texas for a time, he can still work on seeing his children, he would just need to have them come visit there. If there are no court orders that limit his ability to see them and his ex will not let him see them, he would need to go to court in Iowa or wherever the children live (or where any existing order is) to petition for the ability to see his children where he lives.

she did not tell me there was going to be an additional charge ???

I apologize, I don't handle the pricing or charging function, I'm just here to answer questions. I can refer you to customer service if you'd like.

The site also automatically offers something called a "premium service" which I don't participate in and do not have control over. You are not obligated to accept it at all.

I do feel like I could of just called and got this answer for free from any attorney office I would of waited until the morning and called an atty instead of paying the $31 I would like the refund of the$31.00
originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney