Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife is Filipino and we live in the Philippines, I am a…

Customer Question
My wife is Filipino...

My wife is Filipino and we live in the Philippines, I am a US citizen and home of record is in Tenn. My wife's husband who lives in Tenn has signed a document that was notarized a couple years ago and we are attempting to get 100% custody paperwork in the Philippines but they require paperwork for a court. In the Philippines they call it a Red Ribbon document, in the US I think it is just a Certified copy of a document filed in a court. The document that her ex-husband was not filed in a court. Need advise on what we can do. Her ex-husband is willing to sign documentation but is not able and does not have the money to do the complete process and is also not able to take off work to do this process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Tenn

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, this is the first contact I have had about this issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The little girl is 11 years old at this time and does not know her real father, he does not provide any support and has written her off and does not want any contact with her.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 4 days by:
12/8/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

I'm presuming there was a divorce decree (order) and the terms of child custody when your wife and her ex divorced?