Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to find some help with compiling a series of…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find some help with compiling a series of questions for deposition of my husband next week. My lawyer is so busyh other cases i am worried that she is jsut going to wing it on the day and not press him for all his adulterous relationships and for hiding some of our money

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NH

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. My lawyer is so busy with other cases

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really I don't think

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If there are facts you want the lawyer to get into I would outline those facts. That way the lawyer can look at them and go down the list asking questions about them. Often lawyers work off facts or assumption lists rather than a list of questions since questioning will adjust depending on answers given.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
My husband committed adultery several times during our marriage. I discovered them and we separated. He denied ever sleeping with any other person at all in his interrogatories. I have signed and sworn affidavits from the women concerned going back to the beginning of our marriage - and before we had children. My husband is also a lawyer, so going through this divorce has been hell. He has abused all his knowledge to try to hammer me, but I have managed to still stay standing. Initially my lawyer told me that once he lies on interrogs and we can prove it, that is him done, and that he will suffer and lose if we go to trial and that he will be seen as a liar; not credible and could also be incarcerated.But as we have got closer to the date of depositions I have noticed that my lawyer doesn't like to put her money where her mouth is. And I am feeling like family court tends to just forget about the past and only worry about the future and how best to separate us. So for me I feel hard done by. I have waited and suffered for nearly three years and now that it is crunch time it feels like he is going to be able to get away with everything, and that the judge may just be more concerned about the damage to my husband's reputation as a lawyer rather than calling him out on his perjury and punishing him accordingly. I am finding this whole legal system so difficult to get a straight answer from anyone. The GAL is completely useless. She cannot take any sides despite receiving all the proof she needed from all of her investigations (it seems she doesn't want to upset any party, plus she wants to keep a good standing with both lawyers, my husband (whose office is across the street from hers) and the court system), and it is all at a detriment to my children. My husband lied on interrogs and we have that as proof. He is an attorney also which I was told by another attorney that he then is then 'held to a higher standard as an officer of the court' and will be punished more so than a regular person if it comes out in court that he perjured himself, and yet it seems like he might get away with everything simply because the court wants him to still be a good earner for his family, instead of doing the right thing by my kids and the situation.So his deposition is coming up in a few days' time and I wanted to know how to prepare a series of questions to box him in and get more on record to prove he is lying. Any help is appreciated!
I would do the following to help your lawyer.
1. Print out the applicable affidavits, interroagtory responses and other key evidence.
2. Highlight the lines that contain lies or admissions
3. Tab those pages.
4. Give to lawyer in advance and note their importance.
5. Lawyer can then ask questions about them.
6. Attend deposition where you can help your lawyer use them and pick up on things as the deposition happens in real time.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
No. Sorry. None of this has answered my questions. I have done all the things you have suggested and SO much more. I am not looking for elementary advice but more intricate advice based on what I have said.I think this was a waste of time and money trying to get assistance like this. I feel even more hard done by now. THAT was not worth what I was getting in touch for.
This is a general information site. We cannot change how your lawyer is handling the matter and obviously don’t have the file. I will opt out
The website is not marketed as 'general information'. I can find general information by browsing the net and receive even more advice than what I received here. Obviously you can't give detailed advice without the file, I am reasonable but all the things I asked you weren't able to even comment on so I'm afraid that this 'satisfaction guaranteed' line is far from it.