Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We live in South Carolina. My husband and I have been going…

Customer Question
We live in South Carolina...
We live in South Carolina. My husband and I have been going through the year of separation. My 16 yr old son chose to be home schooled due to the pain he feels from juvenile rheumatoid authritis. He does not want his dad to have his sign on information and his dad believes he has no say so in the matter since he is 16
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You state that your son is home schooled, but that there is a sign on. Can you provide a little more information?

Is this a charter school program run through the school district where your son completes the curricula a home or is this a true homeschool where you are serving as your son's instructor?

Also if this is a charter program do you know if there is any federal funding attached to the program?

No it’s a private program I am helping him with in the evening and my daughter helps him with in the morning. I pay for it and my husband pays nothing towards this. The sign in can get to his subjects, pace, reports, and grads.

Thank you for this additional information. Please bear with me while I prepare an answer for you. It will take a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Since you have physical custody of your son, and you are paying for this program, you get to decide whether or not you share any of the specific information about the program with the father. He is not entitled to any of the sign on information.

He may be entitled to be told what your son's over all progress is, but the details are between you and your son.

Absent a Court Order you are not obligated to disclose more than your son's overall progress. Since your son is 16, it is very likely that the court will acknowledge and accept his wishes in this regard IF the issue were to be part of the divorce process.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald