Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

You have helped me twice before and I appreciate your input.

Customer Question
My newest question pertains to...
You have helped me twice before and I appreciate your input. My newest question pertains to my custody agreement. It was a mediated agreement so I am not really familiar with family court. I would like a change in the agreement. I proposed the change to my ex-wife. We tried for 3 months and she didnt like it. I tried another change to address her concerns, we tried for an additional 3 months and she didnt like it. So I read my agreement and it doesn't state that it has to go back to mediator for modification. How do I go about changing or getting a decision made regarding custody.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

To initiate a change in Custody where your ex spouse will not agree, you must file a Petition to Modify Custody. You file this in the Court where the original custody order was issued.

Here are the directions and sample Petition Form:

http://www.pacourts.us/assets/files/setting-3966/file-3887.pdf?cb=6ec3e4

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

My custody was not court ordered. It was a mediated marital settlement agreement

Yes, but wasn't the settlement agreement incorporated into your divorce decree? That is the normal process.

In any case you would file the Petition to Modify with the Court that issued the divorce decree.

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer