Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandson was taken away from my son and his girlfriend he…

Customer Question
My grandson was taken...

My grandson was taken away from my son and his girlfriend he is presently in foster care do I have ANY rights to legally adopt him,before he's placed in adoption precedeings? his girlfriend has drug issues

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes there seems to be a 30 year old issue charge against me that I don't recall and I was asked to appeal but at the time, the biological parents reassured me that they would get their children back.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you do not have anything disqualifying in your background, you can petiton for custody or adoption of your grandchild before he is placed in adoption proceeding.

It would be prudent to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles custody and adoption issues to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you so much for your time,I am not sure how to go about this and I needed some advice. Not able to get answers from Dept. of Children and Family Services
I would rather see it spelled-out so I can refer back to it, on a fixed budget

You need to file Petition at the local Courthouse in the County where the child resides for Custody or Adoption.

You would obtain forms package from the Clerk'so office or online. The forms have specific instructions on how to file the case with the Court including filing fees. If you cannot afford the fee, there is also a form for fee wiaver.

I cannot give you step-by-step instructions because I am not your Attorney and doing so would be in violation of the site policy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law