Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been common law wife for over 20 years living

Customer Question
I have been common...

I have been common law wife for over 20 years living together here in texas and recently my husband got mad because he has a gambling problem and had the landlord change the locks on our apartment which we have been living here in this unit for 3 years and they did. When asked for a key, my name was not on the lease was the answer. She as know all along we monved in this unit together but refused to give me a key. What recourse do I have.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Police report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That sums it up. I am his care taker for Social Security for over 12 years. I am suppose be in charge of everything.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, this appears to be an unlawful eviction by this individual. Even though he is the only one on the lease, the fact that you are living there makes you a tenant int he state of Texas. This means that if he is going to evict you by changing the locks, he is required to give you at least 30 days written notice before that happens. Otherwise, this is considered an unlawful eviction and you may be able to sue him in court. What other questions did you have for me today?

He did eventually allow me back into the apartment, but how do I protect myself from this happening again. All our property we accumulated together are in this apartment plus my own person woman things I take pride in and my clothes etc. What about the rights with the manager of this property.

I'm glad he let you back in. There's not much you can do to protect yourself other than maybe explaining to him that there are financial consequences to his action and that he'd have to explain to a judge that what he did and why he believed that it was legal. Could you help me understand what you mean regarding the rights of the manager of the property?