Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In wisconsin if getting divorced and the house is only in my…

Customer Question
In wisconsin if getting divorced...
In wisconsin if getting divorced and the house is only in my name can i sell it without my soon to be ex signing of on it
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Was the home bought during the marriage?

Title and loan in my name

Thank you. If the home was bought during the marriage, it is a marital asset and your spouse would be entitled to a share in it. When parties are divorcing, the court normally issues an order, that advises that nothing should be done with the marital assets, absent a court order. As such, you should not be able to just sell it, if this is happening and they would need to cooperate.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!