Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The father of my child has not asked for a paternity test…

Customer Question
The father of my...

The father of my child has not asked for a paternity test since my son was born. AJ is three months old now. I was told that after 90 days, if hasnt asked for paternity test, his rights are taken away. is that true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. I have let him see AJ, and now hes threatening to take my son away.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father is in and out of jail for many reasons already. I just dont see how he can take my son away.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
He also got another girl pregnant at the same time he got me pregnant. We delivered at the same hospital on the same day. Except when Maggie was born, she had opiates and THC in her system.
12/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Seattle Scott

The law in Indiana for a child born to unmarried mother is that if DNA testing is not done within 60 days of birth and the parents have not signed a paternity affidavit , which they can agree to do without DNA testing, then the alleged father has no rights unless he does to court.

Let me know if I answered your question or you need more information.

Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer