Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been married for 18 years and recently separated from…

Customer Question
Hi. I have been...

Hi. I have been married for 18 years and recently separated from my husband 6 months ago. I just filed bankruptcy because I am struggling to take care of me and our 3 year old daughter. How can I go about obtaining a lawyer with no money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia Atlanta

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No ma'am I don't know who to talk to because I can't afford an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 9 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

If you want to share with me the county in Atlanta where you live, it will help me look for free legal services for you.

In the meantime, I'll begin my research and get right back to you.

Sue

Fulton
I have no money. I apologize. I just filed bankruptcy
I can't afford a phone call

That's exactly why the federal and state governments fund legal services organizations. It can happen to anyone.

Here is a terrific resource, the Atlanta Legal Aid Society.

Oh, the JA site offers phone calls, not the experts. We can get whatever we need to do here.

I'll be right back.

Sue

Ok

On that site, you'll find a tab for How to Get Help. Here's the direct link to that page.

You'll see the Fulton office listed at*****NE, Atlanta, GA 30303, phone(###) ###-#### There's a link to get directions.

What I suggest is that Monday you call the office. Most likely, you'll get a recording that allows you to choose a button to apply for legal services.

You'll be asked financial and possibly other questions to see if you're eligible, so have that information available. If you need to apply for benefits like SNAP or medical insurance, they can probably help you do that, too.

I'm going to do a little more research to see if there are other resources available.

I'll be right back.

Sue

Ok. Thank you

You're welcome.

In case you need it, here's the Georgia Legal Aid Society link.

You may not need it but here's a free legal services site for domestic violence and criminal legal representation.

This Georgia Bar Association Site provides a link to Legal Aid with this notation, "If you have a legal problem in Georgia, visit www.GeorgiaLegalAid.org for a complete directory of civil legal assistance programs." That tells me the first reference I gave you is trusted.

And here is another great resource, the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. These volunteer lawyer associations will take your information and list it for volunteer attorneys to select. They are a great service in my jurisdiction.

If you have other questions, please let me know. This thread remains open about a week.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Thank you so much. I will start here. I will contact you if I have another question
.

That sounds great.

Take care,

Sue

What was I charged $42.00 for?

I don't know. The cost/payment is entirely up to the JA site. Would you want to contact the JA Moderator, or would you want me to refer your payment question to them?

Sue

Can you refer the question because I was told $5.
This is why I hesitant to move forward because I don't have money to give away
Do I need to cancel my debit card? Or report the agency? This is not right.