Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My adult daughter, husband, and children moved in with me in…

Customer Question
My adult daughter, husband...

My adult daughter, husband, and children moved in with me in December 2008 to present. A rental agreement was signed at the beginning for $750.00 per month, I have received approximately four payments from them. they are now going through a divorce. Her soon to be ex-husband wants half of her upcoming inheritance from her fathers' estate for which I feel that he has no right to because he never helped or offered to assist him in any way. My ex-husband owned and lived in a three family for more than 30 years without any offer of help from the son in-law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter and son-in-law are not joint on any bank account or property ownership. My son-in-law has worked sparing if at all during the time of their marriage, living off of me and my daughter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. He would have no right to her inheritance. That is not something that would be considered a marital asset and if her father leaves this specifically to her, it would be hers to take and he would not be entitled to it.

Thank you. will he be entitled to alimony? He claims that he wants to live in the lifestyle in which he is accustomed .
Thank you again. I will need to discuss this further with my daughter.
Did he work at all? Did he give up anything to care for children?
He has worked but never more than six months in a year, or enough to quarters to receive unempolyment compensation
In Connecticut, the judge is required by statute in crafting an alimony arrangement to consider:Each spouse’s presented evidence
Reasons for ending the marriage (spousal fault or adultery a factor, but not an automatic reason for or against alimony)
Spousal ages
Spousal health
Marital station or lifestyle
Spousal occupations
Respective incomes
Earning capacities
Vocational skills
Education
Employability
Respective assets
Respective needs
Distribution of property in the divorce or separation
Desirability and feasibility of employment of an ex-spouse with physical custody of minor children
As such, he would need to argue and meet the requirements over her objection and show there is a need for it

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!