Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Last nov. ,my wife of 19 yrs. officially move our of our…

Customer Question
Last nov. ,my wife...

Last nov. ,my wife of 19 yrs. officially move our of our house. I asked her what she would like to do about my retirement? At the time, I had aprox. $121,000 in my TSP. Trump was not elected yet, and Hillary appeared to be leading in the Polls. Not knowing what the future holds, I said I would probably take the current value, rather than risk another crash. She then agreed to 50 % of 121,000. We had a loan out against the TSP which pulled out $321.00 each paycheck post tax., plus I was contributing 11% of each paycheck to my regular account. I have recently been fired after 15 years of service and now need to withdraw my retirement. I was short on money this whole past year,(I could soooooo write a book) sorry, anyway, unable to pay without delaying any other payments, I have not yet filed. SO, 1 year after she said she was ok to split 121000, she now wants 50% of the complete equity! My question is, are the courts going to side with her? IF she would have told me that she would wait, I would have worked these issues out with the TSP people, had the money to file, not spent 14,000 of the money in which I was struggling to barly care for me and our boys. I

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Just You Ma'am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We were going to try amicably and keep the court fees for the kids. I don't know what exactly to do here....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you put the split agreement in writing as part of the divorce property settlement agreement?

Ely, Counselor at Law