Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grand daughter has 3 children and has sole legal custody…

Customer Question
My grand daughter has...

My grand daughter has 3 children and has sole legal custody of her three children. Their father is claiming that she has to provide him with Birth Certificates and Social Security cards of the children or can be held in contempt of court. By Indiana Guidelines is this true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Both in Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, been trying to get a hold of one and haven't gotten a return call yet. He tells her that she has to give those to him tonight at 6:00pm when she drops off the kids for visitation. That is the reason for the urgency in knowing this information.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is nothing in any court papers that says she has to provide this. He filed a contempt of court against her for visitation and the judge ruled in his favor, however other than their school and doctor's name nothing was said about this other stuff.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Contempt of court involves a knowing and willful violation of a court order. So in order to hold a person in contempt the order would need to state that these documents needed to be provided to a certain person by a certain date in which case a willful violation could result in a contempt charge. However normally the parent with sole legal custody retains possession of these papers since they are often required for that parent to carry out their responsibility as sole legal custodian, i.e. registering for school, drivers license etc.There is nothing in the statute that would authorize a contempt charge if there is no violation of a court order.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you!

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer