Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How is one expected to pay spousal support when the family…

Customer Question
How is one expected to...
How is one expected to pay spousal support when the family budget runs a deficit every month and the total income of the family is from SSDI and Veteran's Disability Compensation? Does the court expect the payer to neglect the current bills being paid?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Is this a legal question?

I'm self-representing in divorce/annulment proceedings in Northern California and the family court has ordered, then modified the order to increase spousal support from $500 to $1200 a month. My income is VA Compensation (none in lieu of retired pay) at the total rate and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) at about $1200 a month. I have absolutely no money to pay that. How can they think I'm going to pay this money?

I have no idea "how they can think"...that is not a question anyone but the judge can answer...

Well, what does the law say about this? If a financial statement shows the inability to pay, what happens next?

The judge has discretion. And they can consider income from all sources (including VA compensation and SSDI).
So the law on this is clear...the court can order you pay.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the judge can not consider VA and SS income, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act. le information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thank you for the reply. This issue is very controversial. Will you share with me your reference to the law pertaining to this? I have several responses and my research has been mixed with results. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sure, the primary reference can be seen here

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/481/619/case.html

In this case (Rose v Rose) the US Supreme Court held that va disability compensation CAN be considered by the state courts when determining support payments. This case (decided back in 1987) was a bit of a surprise to many folks, as it was thought that the court would rule that since VA compensation is not subject to garnishment by creditors, that it can not be used to allow a family court judge to issue a support order based on VA Compensation...this case decided that question.

SSDI is treated similarly to VA compensation.

Basically, after the Rose case, state courts were free to consider income from federal benefits like VA compensation for determining support.

P. Simmons, Lawyer