Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

After being married just shy of 26 years we divorced in Mar.

Customer Question
After being married just...

After being married just shy of 26 years we divorced in Mar. 1989. I was awarded alimony by the Judge but in a moment i answered that I did not need it that I could support myself! (This was because of the hurt and stress that my husband had caused me) My attorney did not say a word on my behalf nor tell me that I had 72 hours to retract that statement, I received 4 years of temporary alimony, just enough to find a job and be able to meet my monthly bills. It has now been 25 years since the temporary alimony and I have health issues, causing me to need help financially! Is it possible for me to take my previous attorney to court for having lost over $600,000. dollars in alimony these past 25, years! We were empty nesters at the time of the divorce and I mostly raised our 2 kids while supporting my ex in getting his business off the ground!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am now 72 Years of age and have supported myself the past 25 years by going to real estate school in 1989.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am so very sorry that you are in this difficulty after all these years. I am also sincerely ***** ***** you are not going to like the answer that I must give you.

Your attorney should have better advised you, but there is a law called the "Statute of Limitations." This law, passed by the state blocks people from being able to sue after a specified period of time. In Georgia that period of time is 4 years. Once this time is passed there is an absolute bar to bringing a lawsuit.

I wish I could give you a different answer, but I would not want to mislead you into spending your time and energies on something that is not available to you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Here is a Georgia Court decision that describes the statute of limitations:

http://www.lawskills.com/case/ga/id/461/76/index.html

Kind regards,

Gerald