Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My property settlement agreement in my divorce says alimony…

My property settlement agreement...

My property settlement agreement in my divorce says alimony is irrevocable pursuant to Lepis vs Lepis. Can my ex change the agreement or not?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my ex recently retired and wants to lower the alimony payment, but I thought irrevocable meant he couldn’t

12/1/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Based on its terms, it cannot be changed. The application for a change should be denied based on the irrevocable language!

I trust my reply is clear and acceptable. Kindly let me know by responding "yes"

Are you certain? I looked up Lepis vs Lepis and it’s a case that allows for a change due to a change in circumstances such as retirement. I just am not clear on the terminology of “pursuant to Lepis vs Lepis”. Please be certain, he is going to take me to court, and I cannot afford a lawyer.
The exception is very rare and even more so when parties agreed and added irrevocable language.
I ca
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Thank you I pray you are right!

Very welcome. Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Infolawyer, Lawyer