Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 28 years old but was 27 when a relationship started…

Customer Question
I am 28 years old...
I am 28 years old but was 27 when a relationship started with a 17 year old in NYS. We do not live together but do have a few animals together and I do have some of her belongings in my possession. She is now 18 and away at AIT training for the military in Virginia. We have had a falling out and I have attempted to contact her numerous times. Her parents reached out to me last night stating that they will be pressing harassment charges against me for her and because I will not give them our dog they said because she was 17 when our relationship started they are going to press charges for that as well. Am I correct that she would have to press charges herself for harassment? All communication has stopped. Also the registration paperwork for the dog is in both of our names but the bill of sale is in my name. She was also 17 when I purchased him. And lastly, in NYS because she was 17, age of consent being 17 can they press any charges in that aspect? She still resided in their household and still resides with them.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. 17 is the age of consent, so there's no statutory rape. The idea of "18" being the age of consent is a Hollywood notion, mainly because the writers are located in Hollywood, and 18 is the age of consent in California. But in reality it varies from state to state, and in New York the age of consent is 17, and so this would not be a crime. They might think it is, or they might be trying to bluff you into thinking that it is. But it's not.

As far as harassment is concerned, they can't press charges for harassment against her. If they were the ones being harassed, they could do it as the "victims" of the harassment, but she'd be the one that would need to do so.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer