Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A year ago my darghter and myself had to take my

Customer Question
A year ago my...

A year ago my darghter and myself had to take my granddaughter to north side hospital in Canton GA because she attempted suicide they admitted her . My daughter and I left the hospital they called family services family service came and took granddaughter under custody because her mother and I left without telling them. Is that qualify my daughter and I grounds for a law suit against the hospital and family services

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I the grandmother was granted temp custody of her until mother had therapy and was supposed to get her back oct 9 and we found yesterday that she is still under defac and still under my custody

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The hospital has not only a right, but also an obligation to call Child Services whenever they believe a child is in danger. If they had any reason to be concerned, they have to file a report. They'd be breaking the law if they didn't. Since your granddaughter attempted suicide, they likely would have called even if you hadn't left the hospital.

There can be a cause of action where someone maliciously calls child services and files a false report. To win that case, you have to be able to show that CPS found the charges to be unfounded. Here, where they took your granddaughter away from her mother and gave her to you, that's not something you'd be able to prove. Unless you could show that they specifically made false statements against you to CPS, knowing they were untrue, I'm afraid there's no lawsuit here.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?