Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is 40yrs old. Can the court be petitioned to…

Customer Question
My daughter is 40yrs...

My daughter is 40yrs old. Can the court be petitioned to establish paternity.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I took care of myself. But she needs help now and he promises then nothing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Unfortunately no here in Michigan the statute of limitations is age 18.You could have filed until she became an adult.I am so sorry, I have giving bad news like this, I wish I could tell you otherwise.There are states that you could still file here, if you relocated to California no such limitations.But you cannot sue here in Michigan.

Reference

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/state-statute-of-limitations-to-establish-paternity.html

Again I am so sorry here, I wish you the best and appreciate the chance to answer your question.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars at op of page.

Prayers to your daughter.