Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If im 35 and my father got guardianship over me what exactly…

Customer Question
If im 35 and...

If im 35 and my father got guardianship over me what exactly does that mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have brain damage in 2001 raised my kid 5 years and he got custody and put protection order on me and got guardianship over me and my kid

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I was goggling lawyers here in Billings MT but there is so many to choose from do I do family law lawyers?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/30/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Your question: im 35 and my father got guardianship over me what exactly does that mean?

Answer: In general it means that, for some reason, under your facts - likely your injury- a court has decided that you are not capable of making decisions as to your finances and other matters. Therefore, your father steps in and can make the decisions for you subject to the eventual approval of the court.

While it is not an exact match, the best comparison is that of a parent with a minor child where the minor child cannot sign contracts and cannot conduct any business on their own without the supervision of the parent.

The guardianship can be permanent or, if your condition improves, can be reversed by the judge later and you return to a standard ability to handle everything yourself.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer