Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

It does involve a child. Florida. No my situation is nique…

Customer Question
It does involve a...

It does involve a child

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No my situation is nique unique

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/30/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Is there a specific question with which I can assist?

I'm a father to a new born child the only problem is the mother didn't put me on the birth certificate. And now is trying to take her away from me
don't know what steps to take to at least get some rights before she moves away

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

I am assuming from what you wrote above there have been no court proceedings yet concerning the child. If that is correct then the best way to approach the matter is to retain a local attorney to file a Voluntary Petition for Paternity and ask that the court establish residence of the child, visitation, and child support. The standard visitation orders provide for circumstances where the child is nearby and then different visitation privileges if the child resides farther away. You can ask your attorney whether it is worth pursuing an attempt to prevent her moving away with the child because some judges will not do it under any circumstances (other than some type of danger if they stay close by). While some other judges will consider it depending on the circumstances. The local lawyer will be able to tell you what is likely to happen and whether it is worth the cost to pursue that issue.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer