Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is going to mediation on his paternity case. Am I…

Customer Question
My son is going...

My son is going to mediation on his paternity case. Am I allowed to attend mediation with him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. can't afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/30/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 9 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Good morning:

That is primarily up to the mediator and your son. You do not have a legal right to attend mediation with him. Many mediators prefer that 3rd parties do not attend unless they are the attorney representing the parties. The mediator can set their own rules and refuse to allow non-attorney third parties if they desire. If the mediator allows it and your son doesn't mind, then there's no issue.

My son wants me to attend with him. What if it doesn't settle at mediation and we go to a hearing before the judge. Am I allowed to attend the hearing with my son?

You could attend as a spectator, unless the Judge for some reason cleared the chamber. The Judge ultimately controls who can and can't stay in their courtroom.

can I find out in advance if I can attend mediation or hearing with my son?

Your son can contact the mediator and ask them directly. As for the hearing, in most cases you should be able to. It would only be in extreme circumstances that you wouldn't, and that wouldn't likely be known until the hearing started.

ok. thank you

You are welcome!