Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had a question concerning attorney conduct matters. What…

Customer Question
Hi, I had a...

Hi, I had a question concerning attorney conduct matters. What action can one take if the opposing attorney (for Plaintiff) approaches a Defendant to discuss a court matter before court is called? Shouldn't this be done via a formal arbitration hearing? Would this be considered harassment? If so, is this a re-portable violation to the court an the governing bodies over attorneys?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have attempted to consult with a lawyer, but I have not retained a lawyer at this time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is not a family law suit, it's a suit concerning property. Is there a lawyer that you would be able to refer me too and if so, would you be able to tell me how much the cost would be for a consult?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I am looking for the answer concerning the attorney behavior as I stated above?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Unless the defendant is represented by counsel, in which case any direct contact by the opposing attorney would require consent of the party’s attorney, there is nothing illegal about an attorney involved in a matter speaking directly to an unrepresented party.
Courts encourage the parties to make contact and try to settle the matters in dispute.
There is no requirement that the parties engage in formal arbitration to settle a matter.
No misconduct is presented in the facts you describe.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels in this.
Thank You.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Loren, Lawyer