Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a divorce is filed in the dominican republic with

If a divorce is...

If a divorce is filed in the dominican republic with Fraudulent or untrue information, such as claiming desertion when both spouses lived together, is it still valid in Massachusetts? The marriage took place in Massachusetts and both spouses have a home and all assets in Massachusetts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We were married in Boston, Massachusetts. My husband has filed for divorce in the Dominican Republic claiming that i deserted him in Massachusetts but he actually came with me to the dominican republic where we have an apartment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband has left the home and i suspect he is living with another woman. Therefore if what i suspect is true, i want to file for divorce in massachusetts on the ground of adultery.

11/30/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Generally speaking, the court in Massachusetts will not second guess a valid divorce granted in another jurisdiction. So, if the divorce is lawful in the Dominican Republic, then it will be recognized in Massachusetts. The Massachusetts court will not hear evidence as to whether or not there was fraud in the divorce. That is something that must be argued in the Dominican Republic.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Thank you that is helpful. Can i counter sue in Massachusetts-based court since tbe divorce was just filed?

Hi again.

If there is an open case in the DR, then the court in MA will not likely hear the case. They'll likely rule that your counterclaim is best heard in the DR with your spouse's claims.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney