Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Parents died a month ago they lived in california. im the…

Customer Question
Parents died a month...

Parents died a month ago they lived in california. im the oldest of 3 daughters and i live in az. i dont know if my dad had a will hoe do i go about everything dealing with this

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Nothing.i dont know what to do or how to go about any of this there death was sudden

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences as I try to help...

.

Someone will have to file a probate case in the county probate court where they lived to be appointed Administrator of their estate. The clerks will have the probate petition that needs to be completed and filed. The petitioner will then notify all the interested parties that they filed so they can appear for the hearing if they want.

.

They will then set a hearing date where the petitioner will appear and be appointed as Admin as long as no one objects to the petition.

.

After that the Admin has the authority to gather all assets, file an Inventory, liquidate them and pay all debts, bills and taxes. Then they file an accounting and distribute any surplus assets to the heirs and close the estate..

.

This is obviously an abbreviated version of the process as it will normally take a year from start to finish for a typical probate case...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer