Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex asks me every Wednesday and Sunday he has my son for…

Customer Question
My ex asks me...

My ex asks me every Wednesday and Sunday he has my son for the day or dinner, if he can sleep over. He knows I will say no, since son catches 630 bus in morning, and the ex lives 40 minutes away. Court order allows ex the day/dinner, but overnight with me those nights. If ex is asking me every single time, is this harassment? There is a child support/custody case coming up.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Md.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, I have a lawyer, but appt not until next week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He's involving 11 year old son in the questioning now. That's all

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/29/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 7 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

It really depends on the nature of the questioning. Does he text you or call you repeatedly on those days asking, or does he ask and then just accept your answer?

Even though the court order states the parameters for his visits, there's likely a clause that says that you can agree to other things if both parties agree. So if he's just asking to see if you'll agree, that probably doesn't rise to the level of harassment. But if he repeatedly calls or texts you in a 2 hour time frame asking the same thing even after you've said no, that could possibly be harassment.

Also, if his questions are framed using abusive or vulgar language, or if he cusses you out every time you say no, that could be harassment. But if it's just "Hey, can Timmy spend the night?" "No." "Oh, okay." then again, probably not harassment.