Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Family Law/Divorce/Separation: I live in Pennsylvania. My…

Family Law/Divorce/Separation: I live in...
Family Law/Divorce/Separation: I live in Pennsylvania. My wife of 28 years has moved out complete about 3 1/2 months ago. She has moved out on about 3 other occasions stating various reasons such as I am literally 2 and probably more different personalities, one is a Christian and one is not; that my grandfather abused me, that she has the gift of prophecy and healing Between lucid moments she insults that are extreme & sometimes delusional. She has spent many thousands & thousands of our money. She says I need to repent "hang on a cross or take medicine or see a shrink 3x week". Sincerely ***** ***** different things does not help and changed but her driveness over the past 5 years is hard to deal when she gets Bipolar Mania or Hypomania and has been hospitilized for this.. She has been a wonderful wife but we have never agreed on money or child-rearing issues. This last time she moved out without telling me to be near my son who just enrolled, to take care and move in with an elderly couple "until the end of their days" and to take out yet again another loan. What rights do I have when she keeps coming back, taking things and becoming very unpredictable in extreme emotions outbursts and when she is slandering me to friends and strangers? What rights do I have in this when she she speaks very insulting or screams in front of my kids (age 21 & 19)? My kids seemed aligned with her after she has said untrue things behind my back. She stopped taking her medicine about 4 or 5 months ago. What rights do I have financially when she won't agree to getting a formal separation agreement and I can protect myself financially from these further debts she is accruing? I cannot afford a lawyer and have limited income. We have to sell our home and I am afraid she will argue in front of a realtor.
11/29/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: Well, the good news is you can file for divorce even with limited income. You do not need to hire a lawyer to file for you. What you'll want to do is go down to the family court in your county and they'll be able to provide you with the packet of materials to complete to start the process. Don't worry about arguing in front of the realtor - frankly you have no obligation to be with her in front of any realtors. You can both list the home and a realtor can show the home without either of you present. Filing for divorce is particularly smart if she is taking out loans - b/c you could potentially by obligated to pay on those loans. Filing for divorce essentially "stops the clock" and allows you to say you're not liable for what she does after the divorce filing. I hope I've answered your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Is the process of completing the form complicated? You say I do not need a lawyer...isn't the process of dividing assets, debt payoff, visitation rights complicated? What about the slander and debts she accrues...will that be covered in the form? A year and a half ago while in a mental hospital she said she would divorce me and actually had these forms hidden in our house. She changed her mind and later stabilized.....
Thank you.

You say I do not need a lawyer...isn't the process of dividing assets, debt payoff, visitation rights complicated? <- Many, many people get divorced every day without an attorney. Many. If the two of you can't agree on division of assets, a court decides.

What about the slander and debts she accrues...will that be covered in the form? <- Debts accrued until you file for divorce are frequently joint debts. Once you file that can stop the clock.

I hope that answers your questions.

what about debts accrued when she stated "formally" that she was separating (although she had left before this time)?

Words are meaningless. You can't "formally" do anything without a legal document.

Thanks. That's all.

It's my pleasure. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars).

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney