Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Question about a marriage certificate and the timing. I am…

Customer Question
Question about a marriage...

Question about a marriage certificate and the timing. I am deployed I have been for going on 11 months I return to Wisconsin January 10, and to my new duty station January 20th. I am active duty Army, How fast am I able to get my marriage certificate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. My fiancé and I were just going to go to court and get married within those 10 days but in order for him to be able to come with me I will need that cert in hand.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/29/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. If you're getting married in the state of Wisconsin you must first apply for a wedding license at any in-state county clerk office. These offices, some of which are referred to as the "marriage license bureau," are usually located in the county probate court or circuit court.There is a mandatory 6 day waiting period before your license is issued to you. In most states, the waiting period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.You can get married immediately after your marriage license is issued, so if you plan the dates you can marry and receive the marriage certificate within the 10 days.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars