Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex husband is behind in child support, and has been lying…

Customer Question
Hello...my ex husband is...

Hello...my ex husband is behind in child support, and has been lying about his income for the last 5 years. I now have the same employer as he (did) and they are offering all of his financials to prove he lied about his income. Is it legal for me to do get the financials from his (past) and my present employer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Additionally, he modified the child support a few years ago when I was with a different employer and did not include all of his income which caused my support to go from 649/mo to 192/mo fraudulently.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is yes. It is legal for you to get the financials from his past employer. There is generally no law against your employer sharing financial information regarding any other employee with you. Only some records are confidential for an employer, usually relating to their medical status; however, their pay rates and salaries are not confidential unless they agreed to keep them confidential. Thus, you may be able to get them and request an increase in support.

What other questions did you have for me?

Awesome. And, using my employment to prove his dishonestly will not be an issue?

I don't think it'll be an issue. If you weren't working for them and suspected he was lying, then you could request that they turn over that information anyway so your employment should not be an issue. Any other questions?

No Sir. Thank you very much!

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!