Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a friend who quit taking her meds and had to go to…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who quit taking her meds and had to go to the physic ward. Her siblings had her sign guardianship papers while she was in the hospital and wasn't totally aware of what she was signing. Can she overturn the guardianship. Shes been independent for many years

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

They put her in a group home and she can't call a lawyer that's why I am look I g for information for her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She shouldn't be in a home

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation. The answer to the question is yes, she would be able to have the guardianship overturned. What she would have to do is file a petition in the county where she lives and ask the court to remove the guardianship. You should have your friend use this attached 28-line pleading paper and draft up her petition. She should start by creating a timeline of events that lead up to the guardianship in the first few paragraphs. Then, she should explain why she should have the guardianship lifted in the next few paragraphs after that. In the final paragraph, she should just request specifically that the court should grant her independence from her current guardians.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Ely, Counselor at Law