Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been falsely named by a Defendant in Discovery

Customer Question
Interrogatories in a Virginia Defamation...
I have been falsely named by a Defendant in Discovery Interrogatories in a Virginia Defamation case. I am not involved in this case other than being falsely accused of trespassing in the answers he provided to the Plaintiff’s attorney.Since he has named me in his Interrogatories, can I send his attorney a C&D? How can I stop him from naming me for something I had nothing to do with?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. This is something that you would not likely need to worry about at all. During the discovery process, a party may ask interrogatories (questions) to the other party to help ascertain facts and develop evidence to eventually prove at trial. The interrogatories are not ordinarily managed by a judge and the process is frequently done informally between the litigants. In the interrogatories, each party may make assertions that have yet to be proven as fact to help support their case. If someone is named in an interrogatory and there is false information in there, it has no bearing on the the person that was named as the documents are not public record and there is no legal liability attached to being named. Thus, there is nothing legally that you have to do.

As you mentioned though, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter, advising them that they have the facts incorrect and that they should re-send the interrogatories with accurate information. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?